From: rocallahan@gmail.com [mailto:rocallahan@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Robert O'Callahan
Sent: Monday, February 03, 2014 4:33 PM
To: Levantovsky, Vladimir
Cc: Chris Lilley; Daniel Flassig; Sairus Patel; public-svgopentype@w3.org
Subject: Re: SVG Text elements within glyphs

On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 10:01 AM, Levantovsky, Vladimir <Vladimir.Levantovsky@monotype.com<mailto:Vladimir.Levantovsky@monotype.com>> wrote:
My primary concern is that it seems counter-intuitive to allow font data, which is intended to be used a resource to visualize text content, utilize textual content to be used as a fill for rendering the glyphs. Considering that the "SVG in OpenType" was proposed to become part of the generic font format standard usable in different environments and different applications both as a web font as well as a local font - even a hypothetical possibility to enter the endless loop of a font referencing itself to render the text content is unsettling.

I'm not worried about the intuitions here. "It's unintuitive to combine X and Y" is not generally a good enough reason on its own to disallow the combination of X and Y. But preventing recursive fonts does seem like a good idea for safety reasons.

I think the simplest thing might just be to specify that the UA style sheet for a SVG glyphs document must contain "font-size:0 !important". This will ensure that no text needs to be measured or rendered.
The alternatives of blacklisting certain SVG elements (and foreignObject I guess) are a bit more complicated and would probably have to be extended over time, which isn't good.

Rob
--
Jtehsauts  tshaei dS,o n" Wohfy  Mdaon  yhoaus  eanuttehrotraiitny  eovni le atrhtohu gthot sf oirng iyvoeu rs ihnesa.r"t sS?o  Whhei csha iids  teoa stiheer :p atroa lsyazye,d  'mYaonu,r  "sGients  uapr,e  tfaokreg iyvoeunr, 'm aotr  atnod  sgaoy ,h o'mGee.t"  uTph eann dt hwea lmka'n?  gBoutt  uIp  waanndt  wyeonut  thoo mken.o w