Re: ACTION-3243: Mirror css test metadata setup in SVG and come up with a template for new tests (SVG Working Group)

Unfortunately my email provider is still filtering out many of Cameron's
emails... so this reply to his email will be out of the proper thread
order:

> I would actually prefer to take this opportunity to simplify our
template if we can.  I agree we should get rid of the CVS revision (as
you mention, especially given that this won't work now that we're living
in a Mercurial repository) and the frame around the test.

  Simplify! Yes. Our old test format is very verbose.

> At Mozilla, we write our tests with a CC0 / public domain disclaimer
at the top.  Is that something we could consider doing for our new test
suite?

  We could do that but it does add another line of to the files.

> Regarding pulling out the CSS to show in the test harness page,
although that is probably good for CSS tests I don't know how useful it
would be for us.  Sure some tests might have their important behaviour
in a style sheet, but not many.

  This would only be included in tests that DO test their important
behavior in a style sheet.

>  I think if we can we should also choose a format that will parse
elements into the same namespace in text/html, so that we don't have to
have different document structure for SVG-in-HTML tests.  That means if
we want to use HTML <link> and <meta> elements (which we don't need to
if we don't want, really) we'd need to use <foreignObject>.

  Your argument for not including an HTML <head> tag is good. The only
problem I see with your proposed solution is that it make take some time
for browsers/vendors to accept the <link> tag (if we decide on it). I've
just done a quick look. Firefox, Opera, Chrome, and Inkscape render
correctly an SVG test file with the <link> and <meta> tags.

  One final thing. Do we want to still include a test frame? It does
help to set off an SVG when including it in an HTML page so I am leaning
toward keeping it (but shifting in half a pixel to be pixel aligned).

     Tav