Re: Agenda, 16 February 2012 SVG WG telcon

Hi Rik,

Yes they are valid results - but not necessarily useful:-)

Implementations usually can't store them - especially if you're using 8-bit
per component RGB. So in many cases they get clamped at intermediate stages
but certainly there's no color science reason those values aren't legit.

In RGB the > 100% values represent fluorescent colors, i.e. they are
brighter than full white, so that could represent a light source
fluorescing under sunlight, etc.

When I did filters some time last year I ended up having to move to 16-bit
linearRGB space to eliminate banding, and there no reason a color
management engine shouldn't be able to handle out of gamut colors etc. by
using floats/fixed point or similar.

However, practical considerations may well limit what is nice to process as
intermediate results. So I can see why people don't like the idea of
unusual values in the intermediate filter results, and the spec. doesn't
limit intermediate color values, but clamping to something sensible at the
end of the chain may well produce better results than limiting each stage
of the pipe.

Alex