Re: contributor access to svg2-tests repository

On May 28, 2012, at 6:16 PM, Cameron McCormack wrote:

> Dirk Schulze:
>> The reason why the CSS WG does not disallow changes to other folders
>> then the own one is to modify and correct tests of others, or add
>> more meta data, like review state (name and address of the reviewer,
>> which does not necessarily be a WG member). The next step would be a
>> discussion how to review and approve tests in the incoming folders.
>
> Is it only CSS WG members who may change files in other folders, or can
> external contributors do that too?  (Just want to know if I've got the
> same behaviour here as CSS or not.)
>
> Can you summarise how the CSS WG manages test reviews?  (And this is for
> tests in the "submitted" folders, not "incoming", right?)
Sure.

Everyone who got commit access has the possibility to edit any content in the repo, with the exception of the 'approved' folder.

The process seems to be a bit difficult at the beginning. But it is quite easy:

Everyone (or any organization) creates his/its own folder. This folder includes the 'incomming' and 'submitted' folders. If a test is not ready for review, it is going to the 'incoming' folder. Otherwise it gets into the 'submitted' folder. Every test in 'submitted' gets picked up by Shepherd and is in the test suite now.

Everyone can review tests of other contributors. If the reviewed test needs more work, it gets marked as 'Needs work' in Shepherd. If the test just needs some snippets changed, the reviewer himself can do the edits and mark the test as reviewed.

Positive reviews: To mark a test as reviewed and ready to go, some more meta data gets added into the test itself (the review date, reviewer name + email).

The next state is awaiting approval. Just CSS module owners (with some more exceptions) can approve a test. The approver should add his Ok to the test meta data as well and move the test in the 'approved' folder. Or, if the test needs more work, mark the test as 'Needs more work' in Shepherd. The review process would start from the beginning. An approver can review and approve tests in one go as well.

Links to the CSS WG Wiki:
http://wiki.csswg.org/test/css2.1/review
http://wiki.csswg.org/test/css2.1/contribute
http://wiki.csswg.org/test/oversight

Some notes at the end. The review process for CSS tests might change in the near future. It was discussed to move every submitted test to approved and let implementers decide if a test needs more work when they implement a CSS module. I am not a fan of this idea, but the CSS WG does not have enough volunteers who review tests. Right now there are more than 11,000 unreviewed tests in the test suite.

Greetings,
Dirk