Renaming SVG Tiny to Core (was: Minutes, 15 December 2008 SVG WG telcon)

Hi, Fujisawa-san-

While we are sympathetic to your reasons for wanting to change the name
of SVG Tiny 1.2 to SVG Core 1.2.  Based on feedback from other
participants, the SVG WG doesn't think that it's prudent to rename SVG
Tiny 1.2 at this time, or to delay its publication.  In addition to JIS,
we also have responsibilities to JSR and OMA, as well as other groups,
to publish SVG Tiny 1.2 in a timely fashion, and to keep a consistent name.

However, to make it clear that SVG Tiny 1.2 will be relevant and be the
core of the language for the foreseeable future, thus suitable for
standardization by JIS, we have added the following clarification in the
document status section of the spec:

[[
  As described in the abstract, this specification represents the core
for a set
  of modular extensions, but is named SVG Tiny for historical reasons,
as a profile
  for mobile devices.  Future versions of this specification will maintain
  backwards compatibility with previous versions of the language, in a
continuing
  line of technology, but will bear the name "SVG Core" to represent this
  relationship.
]]

I hope that this will reassure you and JIS about our commitment to this
specification, and clarify the relationship of SVG Tiny to SVG Core.

Since SVG Core 2.0 will be a large undertaking, we don't anticipate that
it will be a Recommendation for a number of years, and thus SVG Tiny
1.2, and the set of related modules, will be the most up-to-date
specification for quite some time.  We do not anticipate making another
SVG specification targeted specifically at mobile devices, which as I
understand is of particular interest to JIS, so SVG Tiny 1.2 is
definitely the relevant specification for the Japanese market to
standardize on.  Since it already has market uptake, especially in
mobile and embedded devices, there is considerable support for SVG Tiny
1.2 worldwide, so it is appropriate that this specification also be
recognized and ratified in the important Japanese market.

We expect to publish the specification as a W3C Recommendation on
Monday, 22 December 2008, and hope that JIS will move forward as planned
with their ratification and translation.

If there is anything else we can do to clarify this matter, please let
us know.

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, SVG and WebApps WGs