Re: About animate-elem-225-t.svg

On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 16:27:44 +0100, Cyril Concolato <cyril.concolato@enst.fr> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm currently reviewing the test suite and I have a question related to animate-elem-225-t.svg.
>
> This test tests the behavior when invalid values are used in the begin attribute.
> The SMIL spec says:
> "If there is a syntax error in any individual value in the list of begin or end values (i.e. the value does not conform to the defined syntax for any of the time values), the host language must specify how the user agent deals with this."

Which in itself is a bit confusing for 'end' since the above sentence is only found in the section named 'Begin value semantics'[1].

> The current SVG spec says:
> "If the 'begin' attribute is syntactically invalid, in the list itself or in any of the individual list values, it is equivalent to a single 'begin' value of 'indefinite'." That is what is tested in animate-elem-225-t.svg.

Right.

> I don't see a similar text for the 'end' attribute in the SVG spec? Is there also a test for that?

We should probably have one, and add text to clarify this case.

Since 'end' doesn't have a lacuna value I propose the following be added to the definition of the 'end' attribute:

  "If the 'end' attribute is syntactically invalid, in the list itself or in any of the individual list values, the 'end' attribute must be treated as having an unsupported value."

The spec more or less already says this, but it may be that a user agent treats individual list values as valid as the spec stands now.

Cheers
/Erik

Co-Chair, W3C SVG Working Group