Re: ISSUE-2138 (SVG-HTML error processing): Error processing differences in SVG and HTML [Last Call: SVG 1.2 Tiny ]

Doug Schepers a écrit :
> Hi, Cyril-
>
> Cyril Concolato wrote (on 10/14/08 2:43 AM):
>> SVG Working Group Issue Tracker a écrit :
>>> ISSUE-2138 (SVG-HTML error processing): Error processing differences
>>> in SVG and HTML [Last Call: SVG 1.2 Tiny ]
>>>
>>> http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/WG/track/issues/2138
>>>
>>> Raised by: Doug Schepers
>>> On product: Last Call: SVG 1.2 Tiny
>>> Cyril Concolato
>>> <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/2008Oct/0110.html>:
>>> [[
>>> * Section 5.9.1 The 'externalResourcesRequired' attribute What is the
>>> rationale behind the sentence:
>>> "If a node enters the error state then the document enters the error
>>> state and progressive rendering stops." Is this behavior compatible
>>> with traditional HTML processing?
>> I've identified the following error states explicitely listed in the spec:
>> - playbackOrder='all' and use of discard
>> - circular references
>> - eRR true but resource not fetched
>> - a java class listed in SVG-Handler-Class does not implement
>> EventListenerInitializer2
>> My problem is with the 3rd case. For example, if an image (in a group
>> with eRR = true) is not fetched, the UA stops the rest of the rendering
>> of the document. HTML browser don't stop rendering when an image link is
>> broken and this is a more useful behavior. My suggestion is to say that
>> if a node enters the error state (because of an unresolved link), then
>> the UA should inform the user but keep rendering the rest of the document.
>
> I'm not sure I agree.
>
> The more graceful error recovery is already the behavior when
> externalResourcesRequired="false".  externalResourcesRequired="true"
> means exactly that: that the author considers the external resources to
> be necessary to the proper viewing of the document.  If the author
> wishes to allow tolerant error recovery for broken links, then they need
> only omit the externalResourcesRequired attribute (lacuna is "false") or
> set it explicitly to "false".  The behavior you suggest would defeat the
> very purpose of the attribute.  externalResourcesRequired is not a
> conditional attribute, to hide or show an element based on the
> availability of a resource.
>
> If you still disagree, please let us know why you would expect the other
> behavior, and the SVG WG will discuss it.  If this adequately explains
> the rationale, please let us know that this is a satisfactory response.
I understand your explanation, but eRR=true is actually doing 2 things: controlling the progressive rendering algorithm to stop the rendering until the resource is resolved; and controlling the resolution of the resources. I'm just wondering if it wouldn't be better to have 3 values:
externalResourceRequired="none" (lacuna value, equivalent to false)
externalResourceRequired="keep" (just pauses the rendering until the children are loaded but it continues rendering if a external resource link is broken)
externalResourceRequired="strict" (equivalent to true in the current definition)

However, if you think this is too much editing or a too big change, I agree to leave it as is.

Cyril

--
Cyril Concolato
Groupe Mutimedia/Multimedia Group