Re: ISSUE-2138 (SVG-HTML error processing): Error processing differences in SVG and HTML [Last Call: SVG 1.2 Tiny ]

Hi, Cyril-

Cyril Concolato wrote (on 10/14/08 2:43 AM):

> SVG Working Group Issue Tracker a écrit :
>>
>> ISSUE-2138 (SVG-HTML error processing): Error processing differences
>> in SVG and HTML [Last Call: SVG 1.2 Tiny ]
>>
>> http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/WG/track/issues/2138
>>
>> Raised by: Doug Schepers
>> On product: Last Call: SVG 1.2 Tiny
>> Cyril Concolato
>> <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/2008Oct/0110.html>:
>> [[
>> * Section 5.9.1 The 'externalResourcesRequired' attribute What is the
>> rationale behind the sentence:
>> "If a node enters the error state then the document enters the error
>> state and progressive rendering stops." Is this behavior compatible
>> with traditional HTML processing?
> I've identified the following error states explicitely listed in the spec:
> - playbackOrder='all' and use of discard
> - circular references
> - eRR true but resource not fetched
> - a java class listed in SVG-Handler-Class does not implement
> EventListenerInitializer2
> My problem is with the 3rd case. For example, if an image (in a group
> with eRR = true) is not fetched, the UA stops the rest of the rendering
> of the document. HTML browser don't stop rendering when an image link is
> broken and this is a more useful behavior. My suggestion is to say that
> if a node enters the error state (because of an unresolved link), then
> the UA should inform the user but keep rendering the rest of the document.

I'm not sure I agree.

The more graceful error recovery is already the behavior when
externalResourcesRequired="false".  externalResourcesRequired="true"
means exactly that: that the author considers the external resources to
be necessary to the proper viewing of the document.  If the author
wishes to allow tolerant error recovery for broken links, then they need
only omit the externalResourcesRequired attribute (lacuna is "false") or
set it explicitly to "false".  The behavior you suggest would defeat the
very purpose of the attribute.  externalResourcesRequired is not a
conditional attribute, to hide or show an element based on the
availability of a resource.

If you still disagree, please let us know why you would expect the other
behavior, and the SVG WG will discuss it.  If this adequately explains
the rationale, please let us know that this is a satisfactory response.

Regards-
-Doug