Re: ISSUE-2129 (definition clarifications): Definition section is too long and needs clarifications (bbox, canvas, etc.) [Last Call: SVG 1.2 Tiny ]

Hi,

Doug Schepers a écrit :
> Hi, Guys-
>
> Nice work on moving the description of bbox to Coords, Anthony.  I have
> one nit, inlin below...

>>> There was actually a mistake in my comment. The proposed edit is replace:
>>> "For curved shapes, the bounding box must enclose all portions of the
>>> shape along the edge, not just end points, but must not include
>>> control points for curves that are not within the shape itself."
>>> with
>>> "For curved shapes, the bounding box must enclose all portions of the
>>> shape along the edge, not just end points, but should not include
>>> control points for curves that are not within the shape itself."
>>>
>> As per your suggestion the "must not" was changed to "should not". I
>> added an additional sentence at the end to help clarify the paragraph:
>> "For example, control points of a curve that are at a further distance
>> than the curve edge, from the non-enclosing side of the curve edge, must
>> be excluded from the bounding box."
>>
>> Do you think this sentence helps with clarification of the paragraph?
>
> The passage was indeed ambiguously worded, previously.  However, I
> thought the new wording was also a bit unclear... the "should not"
> wording could be read to indicate that implementations are permitted to
> include control points in the bbox if there is a good reason for them to
> do so, such as performance.  In fact, the exclusion of control point
> must remain a must, but the passage needed qualifying remarks.  I've
> changed it as below [1], and retained Anthony's f'rinstance:
>
> [[
> For curved shapes, the bounding box must enclose all portions of the
> shape along the edge, not just end points. Note that control points for
> a curve which are not defined as lying along the line of the resulting
> curve (e.g., the second coordinate pair of a Cubic Bézier command) must
> not contribute to the dimensions of the bounding box (though those
> points may fall within the area of the bounding box, if they lie within
> the shape itself, or along or close to the curve). For example, control
> points of a curve that are at a further distance than the curve edge,
> from the non-enclosing side of the curve edge, must be excluded from the
> bounding box.
> ]]
>
> [1] http://dev.w3.org/SVG/profiles/1.2T/publish/coords.html#BoundingBox
Reading the new version of the text, I'm fine with it. My only remaining concern is about the bounding box of 'defs' elements.

Cyril

--
Cyril Concolato
Groupe Mutimedia/Multimedia Group