Re: Whitspace/comma separation in lists

From: Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 22:54:44 -0400
To: public-svg-wg@w3.org

Hi, Cameron-

Cameron McCormack wrote (on 7/21/08 8:42 PM):
> Hello WG.
>
> In the data types chapter, the entry for <list of XXX> currently reads
> as follows:
>
>   (Where xxx represents a value of some type.) A list consists of a
>   separated sequence of values. Unless explicitly described
>   differently, lists can be either comma-separated, with optional white
>   space before or after the comma, or white space-separated.
>   …
>   Here is a description of the grammar for a <list of xxx>:
>
>     ListOfXXX ::=
>         XXX
>         | XXX comma-wsp ListOfXXX
>     comma-wsp ::=
>         (wsp+ comma? wsp*) | (comma wsp*)
>     comma ::=
>         ","
>     wsp ::=
>         (#x20 | #x9 | #xD | #xA)
>    — http://dev.w3.org/SVG/profiles/1.2T/publish/types.html#DataTypeList
>
> The prose says that lists can be either whitespace separated or comma-
> whitespace separated, but the grammar allows a list with mixed
> separators, such as "1 2,3 4 5".  Which should be correct?

I personally think that the grammar is correct, and that any confusion
in the prose is incidental.

>  Doug, I see
> you have http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/Group/track/actions/1942 from
> the old tracker, which seems related.

I seem to recall that we had decided to put that off until a later
version.  It would be nice to have a single unified list syntax, if
possible.

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, WebApps, SVG, and CDF