Re: ISSUE-2021 (image-bbox): Bounding box of <image> subject to aspect-ratio preservation undefined [SVG Tiny 1.2]

From: Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2008 15:45:00 +1000
To: public-svg-wg@w3.org

SVG Working Group Issue Tracker:
> The spec doesn't really define what the bounding box of an <image> is.
> The non-obvious case is when preserveAspectRatio="" is set so that the
> image doesn't take up the whole area specified on the <image> element.

It was pointed out to me off-list that there is currently this text in
the description of the “none” value for preserveAspectRatio="":

  none - Do not force uniform scaling. Scale the graphic content of the
  given element non-uniformly if necessary such that the element’s
  bounding box exactly matches the viewport rectangle.
   — http://dev.w3.org/SVG/profiles/1.2T/publish/coords.html#PreserveAspectRatioAttribute

This seems to imply the bounding box should be smaller if the image is
resized due to aspect-ratio preservation.