Re: Patch for Acid3 test 77 (SVGTextContentElement errata)

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 00:04:47 +0200, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com> wrote:

> On Jul 14, 2008, at 12:28 AM, Erik Dahlström wrote:
>

>> On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 04:01:36 +0200, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:
>>
>>> On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 4:17 PM, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:
>> The webkit team is represented on the SVG WG (by Apple), and it
>> would have been great if the comments would have been heard there
>> when this errata was discussed.
>
> If you'd like specific errata reviewed on behalf of Apple or the
> WebKit project in the future, please let me know. But we probably
> won't be able to give detailed immediate review of every erratum
> without being specifically asked.

Agendas are sent out on a regular basis to the public-svg-wg list, and anything being an errata discussion is usually marked as such. It would be my suggestion to read the related email/issues/actions and post comments to the list, and if possible, attending the telcon that discusses the errata item(s).

> As for the substance of the change, it seems very strange to me that
> whether the method throws depends on which range endpoint is out of
> bounds. It would make more sense to either always clamp to the text
> node's available range (returning 0 if you end up outside the range
> entirely), or always throw when either endpoint is out of bounds, but
> the current mix makes for a strange programming model.

Fair enough, and your preference is for which of these models?

Cheers
/Erik

Co-Chair, W3C SVG Working Group