Re: <script> elements running only once

Hi, Cam-

Cameron McCormack wrote (on 6/8/08 9:06 PM):
> http://www.w3.org/TR/SVGMobile12/script.html#ScriptContentProcessing
> says that <script> elements are executed when they are inserted into the
> document.  However, I noticed that both Opera 9.5b2 and Firefox 3rc1
> handle SVG <script> elements in the same way as HTML 5 <script>
> elements, i.e. once a <script> element executes, it will not be executed
> again when removed from and then reinserted into the document:
>
>   http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/#running
>
> Do we want to align to HTML here?  (We can ignore the defer/async stuff
> for now.)

I think aligning is a good idea.  I recall the discussion behind this,
and I thought we had pretty good rationales, but there may be good
reasons to change it.

On the other hand, perhaps we should also raise the issue with the HTML
WG... it might be that the behavior we prescribe actually fits better
(or equally well) with what existing content expects.  How about
Safari/WebKit and IE... how do they behave?

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, SVG, CDF, and WebAPI