Re: Various Topics

Hi, Jonathan-

Jonathan Chetwynd wrote (on 9/11/08 3:34 AM):

> "Standards are most useful for establishing interoperability
> and providing authors and users with clear and precise
> guidelines to functionality that they can use."
>
> is very different in meaning to that which I proposed.
> using a specification is not the same as
> "as a requirement to include them and their representatives in the spec
> process."

I agree it is rather different, but both aspects have their role.

In fact, I *do* think it's very important that we include authors and
end-users, and their representatives, in the spec-design process.  This
is why I, as a frustrated author, spent my own money to join the W3C 3
years ago, to move the SVG spec in the direction I needed it to go, and
why I and many others have been active in the process long before and
since, in the public mailing lists, both as casual commentors and as
Invited Experts.  This is why, when I became an employee of W3C a little
over a year ago, one of my first personal missions was to start this
Interest Group, to bring authors, designers, and end-users more directly
into the process.  This is why we have changed the WG charter to work as
a public group, with our communications, minutes, emails, specs, and
tests in the public, for all to see and comment on.  I earnestly believe
that W3C provides an extraordinary degree of of public openness, while
at the same time, can be and is being improved on how we bring in
comments from the public, as well as from our Members.

Specifically, for those who aren't technical enough to contribute to the
specs directly, we need representatives who understand their needs,
which is why I invited you to this Interest Group in the first place.
You have been a staunch advocate for an underrepresented group of
people, and even when I don't agree with your solutions or approaches, I
have always appreciated your viewpoint and tried to keep your overall
end goals in mind.

> however, you may be relieved to know that after more than a decade I
> have decided to withdraw from the w3c process.

On the contrary, I think it's a real shame.  Your insight into difficult
accessibility issues has led to many improvements in the SVG spec, and
your persistence has helped see issues through that might otherwise have
been overlooked or lost in the shuffle.  As I've said before, your
tireless testing and bug-reporting, both to the spec and to
implementations, has been a tremendous help.

I hope that you change your mind about completely withdrawing from the
standards process, specifically SVG.  I think there's a lot of good you
can do for a lot of people here.  I don't appreciate the accusatory tone
you frequently adopt, but I do appreciate your participation.

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, WebApps and SVG Working Groups