Re: (3D and SVG) [SVG-IG] Re: HTML 5 Canvas spec

On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 21:40:35 +0200, Donald Doherty
<donald.doherty@brainstage.com> wrote:

> The HTML 5 Canvas spec addressed an HTML shortcoming: no high quality
> 2D graphics.
>
> Others have now extended HTML 5 Canvas to address another HTML
> shortcoming: no high quality 3D graphics (although I don't know that
> this is standard yet).

This is a long way from standard - there is no agreement even on the best
approach to ensure we can do the basics. There are 3D builds from Opera[1]
and an explanation of how our 3D approach works in canvas[2]. I believe
there is a 3D demo from mozilla, too. Hmmm. Google says [3]

[1] http://labs.opera.com/news/2008/07/18/
[2]
http://my.opera.com/timjoh/blog/2007/11/13/taking-the-canvas-to-another-dimension
[3] https://wiki.mozilla.org/Canvas:3D

Meanwhile Jeff wrote, elsewhere:

> Looking at Wikipedia [1], X3D and VRML were apparently developed by
> the web3D consortium, are ISO specs and have _some_ traction in the
> browser plugin space (though VRML has fallen out of favour).
>Can someone familiar with the history/politics illuminate the
> relationship between the W3C and the Web3D Consortium?

The Web3D Consortium has been a member of W3C for many years, represented
by Don Brutzman. Rather than try to convert SVG to a 3D language, it would
make more sense to implement X3D (which currently works with plugins). To
do that one of the things we need to do is figure out how we are going to
build a 3D library, hence the experimentation with 3D canvas is valuable.

> What I'd like to see is for the SVG lack of high quality 3D graphics
> to be addressed in a similar way. Maybe an official "SVG 3D Canvas"
> spec?

Well, there are the X3D specs (and plugins, and examples, and demos and so
on) already...

cheers

Chaals

http://my.opera.com/chaals   Try Opera 9.5: http://www.opera.com