From: svg-developers@yahoogroups.com on behalf of ddailey
Sent: Sat 7/19/2008 8:57 AM
To: svg-developers@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [svg-developers] Negative values for animation of startOffset in text on a path
The SVG 1.1 spec (see http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/text.html#TextOnAPath ) tells us that the use of a negative value for startOffset is an error. However, in the example at
http://srufaculty.sru.edu/david.dailey/svg/newstuff/textpath1.svg
as seen in IE/ASV, I've used it for a rather nice effect. Opera follows the spec, but then it doesn't allow the effect I'm interested in .
So my question is if there is any way to accomplish the same sense of continuous flowing text without using negative values? Why does a negative value have to be an error?
David