Re: New SVG 2 Changes

Hi Amelia,

We can take these up at todays meeting.

     Regards,

    Fred Esch
 Watson, IBM, W3C
  Accessibility

 IBM Watson       Watson Release Management and Quality

From:	Amelia Bellamy-Royds <amelia.bellamy.royds@gmail.com>
To:	SVG-A11y TF <public-svg-a11y@w3.org>, Fred
            Esch/Arlington/IBM@IBMUS
Date:	06/22/2016 09:53 AM
Subject:	New SVG 2 Changes

Hello all,

Nikos, Tav & I have been busy fussing with the SVG spec this week.  There
are a few changes that are relevant to the accessibility team:

   1.	Re-write of the section on title & desc.  New text is here:
      https://svgwg.org/svg2-draft/struct.html#DescriptionAndTitleElements
      A description of the major changes is in the (closed) pull request
      here: https://github.com/w3c/svgwg/pull/170
      If you notice any outstanding issues, please file a new issue.

   2.	Allow nested links.  It already works in many browsers, and could
      definitely be useful.  But I'm not sure how the experience is from an
      accessibility perspective.
      Current spec text is here:
      https://svgwg.org/svg2-draft/linking.html#Links
      My JSBin test case is here:
      http://jsbin.com/sefapofaxi/1/edit?html,output There's an outer link
      with two elements (grey rectangle and orange ellipse), then an inner
      link with a blue ellipse that visually obscures the orange ellipse if
      it renders.

   3.	We've removed the dual nature of the "mesh" element.  Now we have a
      "mesh" element that is a shape drawn to screen and a separate
      "meshGradient" element that defines the coloring pattern.  We'll need
      to add "meshGradient" to the SVG-AAM, but it will be straightforward,
      since it's a never-rendered element.  The changes we made to define
      "mesh" as role="img" are still valid.

   4.	We've added better rules for language selection for switch elements
      (allowing the browser to use ranked language preferences from the
      user); text here:
      https://svgwg.org/svg2-draft/struct.html#SwitchElement. These are
      consistent with the clearer definition of language selection for
      title & desc, linked above.
I think those are the main changes that are relevant from an accessibility
perspective.  The first point should close a few of my Tracker issues for
the Task Force, but I'll review that later to see if anything's still
missing.

I still need to clean up the section on element default & allowed roles, to
match the latest SVG-AAM.  I was going to propose a re-write & let the TF
comment on the 2 options.  I'll try to have that ready in time for the call
next week.

Bye from Amsterdam,
Amelia