Re: "Green Mode" Design

That's another set of great leads. I'm writing a follow up, which will look
more at the technical implementation details. There are many vectors out
there that could be part of green mode design, and I'm considering for
proof of concept.

I see 4 customisable modes/levels of green mode design:

1) climate aware - optimisation without degradation (unused tab suspension,
climate aware metrics/monitoring, ad/tracker blocking/service worker
enabled intelligent caching.
2) climate friendly - graceful degradation of performance (all the above +
blocked image or videos by default, clicking on an image or video link
gives you minimal available quality, and podcast mode (sound only), reader
mode (transcript only) video streaming, more aggressive service worker
caching).
3) climate first - maximum graceful degradation without loss of core
functionality (no javascript, "print mode", bare minimal css, maximum
backward device compatibility,  accessibility options (e.g. only text to
speech including alt for images, and no other visuals; change font colour
or size, etc - this + backward compatibility increases climate resilience)
4) smart mode - customisable default triggers for switching between 1-3
(High CPU, high daily CO2 consumption, full screen mode (degrade all other
tabs), non-green cloud host detected, high CO2 website, time of day (this
could link to focus mode design thinking).

I think all of this can be operationalised already:
1) client side via browser extensions, but obviously it will be less
seamless with more overhead than at the developer level.
2) developer side via graceful degradation, like client caching both high
performance and low fi versions of sites in the client, a bit like
prerendering is used already in SPAs to serve crawlers and users different
versions. You could also design every app and specially page for graceful
degradation to work with low or no js. A lot of accessibility design would
also be pertinent. And give your users high, mid and low performance
options on the UI.

What cannot be done yet:
3) Browsers to implement much more comprehensive green mode features than
Edge's energy efficient mode. If we could empower service worker caching on
the client side, for instance, that could be a game changer. If you could
toggle something that implements stale while revalidate strategies if no
similar service workers are active, you could drastically reduce web
traffic and consumption. If you could download rather than stream by
default, with streaming only as a buffer until download completes, that
would also make a difference. If you could integrate CO2 counters into the
browser itself, which has the most direct information to hand. Etc.

4) Specifications and standards bodies could create "green mode" standards
and protocols. Sites that conform to these standards could be prioritised
by search engines and similar incentives. Embracing green mode design (user
controlled) and not just behind the scenes optimisation could also make its
way to OpenApi and AsyncApi specs. The reason for green mode (graceful
degradation) as opposed to (or rather in combination with) default
performance optimisation,  is that the "generally acceptable use case" does
not allow for low intensity alternatives for specific use cases and
responsible consumption. You couldn't implement no images on all sites by
decree. But you can at least make it easily and conveniently possible as an
option where appropriate.

At the moment the 4 key constituents (consumers, devs, browsers and
standards) are at different places in this design trajectory. If we could
get the overlap to critical mass we could radically improve our industry's
environmental impact on emissions, waste and raw materials, with many
associated downstream benefits.

Well, there goes an unplanned preview of part 2 of my blog series! Thanks
so very much for engaging.