From: Dominic Mazzoni [mailto:dmazzoni@google.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 25, 2012 10:58 AM
To: Jim Barnett
Cc: Hans Wennborg; public-speech-api@w3.org
Subject: Re: TTS append / queueing

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 7:32 AM, Jim Barnett
<Jim.Barnett@genesyslab.com> wrote:

	I could imagine a situation in which a page invoked multiple
distinct TTS engines (expertise in different languages being one common
use case), so I wouldn't want the TTS object to be unique, but I think
it would make sense to have a single TTS object for each engine and then
have a method like  'addUtterance' with the kind of behavior that
Dominic mentioned (queue vs abort, plus the possibility for different
voices/parameters for each utterance.)

I agree about wanting to use multiple engines, but why not just make
that a parameter? Unless you wanted two engines talking *at the same
time*, I don't see any reason you need a separate instance per engine.

I can see it working where there's a single global TTS object and
everything is done via method calls. That's what we did for the Chrome
TTS extension API. I can also see it working to create one object per
utterance, because a typed JavaScript object is a convenient container
for state. But somewhere in-between (multiple TTS objects per engine,
but not one object per utterance) seems overcomplicated.

- Dominic