Re: SEP2: Add Support Durations, Dates, and Times

From: Gregory Williams <greg@evilfunhouse.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2020 10:19:42 -0800
Cc: "public-sparql-12@w3.org" <public-sparql-12@w3.org>
To: John Snelson <John.Snelson@marklogic.com>
Hi John,

Thanks for the feedback.

On Feb 10, 2020, at 3:05 AM, John Snelson <John.Snelson@marklogic.com> wrote:

> Hi Jerven, Gregory,
>
> Thanks for this! Looks like a good start. I can't open github issues
> that aren't labelled "New Feature", which doesn't seem to fit the situation.
>
> Here are my comments:
>
> 1) We should document the mapping of SPARQL function names to F&O
> function names. For instance, I'm assuming YEAR(xs:date) maps to
> fn:year-from-date().

I’m not opposed to this, but since the SEP does not include the exact language that would be applied to the spec, I didn’t think this was necessary. In a document that is proposing spec text (which this SEP could be updated to become), I would think the sections enumerating the function definitions (like YEAR in https://www.w3.org/TR/sparql11-query/#func-year <https://www.w3.org/TR/sparql11-query/#func-year>) would include similar language to existing definitions (which do include reference references where appropriate).

> 2) We should extend ADJUST() to work with argument types of xs:date and
> xs:time as well.
>
> 3) We are missing the following operator: xs:time + xs:dayTimeDuration

I’ve submitted a PR (#111) to address points 2 and 3.

Thanks,
Greg