Re: where are we at?

One purpose of a Community Group is to create a “Final Report” that can be used to hand off to a future Working Group [1]  JSON-LD faced this same scenario when there was a lot of community support for improving the 1.0 specs, which did lead a proposed charter [2] and ultimate formation of the JSON-LD 1.1 Working Group. (Of course, we thought we had finished everything in the CG, but two years later we finally completed the updated Recs.) \

The Final Reports took the form of CG drafts of the specs with some change marking from the 1.0 spec.

This group could either create edited versions of the SPARQL 1.1 recs, or it might be better to create stand-alone documents that are updates to those recs, and leave combining them for a SPARQL 1.2 (2.0?) WG.

Before spending too much time on formalities, it might be good to see if there is general interest to charter a new WG. Of course, a CG spec is useful too, but doesn’t carry near the weight of a recommendation.

As for tests, I think along with creating normative text, we can add tests to the test suite curated on GitHub [3], as long as we use a status such as `dawgt:approval dawgt:Proposed;` and, ideally reference the appropriate text from a comment.

Meetings are good, as long as there are more than a couple of people committed to regularly contributing, along with implementors willing to do the work.

Gregg Kellogg
gregg@greggkellogg.net

[1] https://www.w3.org/community/json-ld/ <https://www.w3.org/community/json-ld/>
[2] https://www.w3.org/2018/03/jsonld-wg-charter.html <https://www.w3.org/2018/03/jsonld-wg-charter.html>