Re: files or database for solid pods [Was: Towards Solid Lite]

Ășt 31. 10. 2023 v 20:41 odesĂ­latel Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>
napsal:

> Hi Melvin,
>
> On 10/31/23 8:52 AM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
> > Then there are things which a triple store cant do.  Such as saving my
> > family photos.  Storing a song or playlist.  Uploading a video.
> >
> > The web started out by linking documents so it stands to reason that
> > flavours of solid should inherit this ability, in the general case.
> >
> > Does it make sense?
>

> A different angle:
>
> Triple Stores and Filesytems can exist behind a common abstraction layer
> provided by HTTP. This kind of abstraction is where Solid comes into
> play, by making such possible via Single Page Apps deployed via HTML.
>
> That's exactly how we use Solid atop our Virtuoso platform (which is a
> DBMS, WebDAV file server, Middleware combo). Basically, you can work
> using fileystem interaction patterns while the underlying data is
> accessible via a number of interfaces and returned in a variety of
> negotiated formats.

Makes total sense.  That would be a great way to build client side apps.

However a pain point right now is that it is hard to build a server, or
even find an existing server that is bug free.

A specification to find a minimal subset of Solid to build a working, bug
free server, that passes tests in the test suite, is the challenge.

The question is which parts of the spec could you take out, and still have
useful applications.

Not everyone can build something like virtuoso overnight, so what
properties would create a minimal viable back end.