Re: files or database for solid pods [Was: Towards Solid Lite]

Hi Melvin,

On 10/31/23 8:52 AM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
> Then there are things which a triple store cant do.  Such as saving my
> family photos.  Storing a song or playlist.  Uploading a video.
>
> The web started out by linking documents so it stands to reason that
> flavours of solid should inherit this ability, in the general case.
>
> Does it make sense?

A different angle:

Triple Stores and Filesytems can exist behind a common abstraction layer
provided by HTTP. This kind of abstraction is where Solid comes into
play, by making such possible via Single Page Apps deployed via HTML.

That's exactly how we use Solid atop our Virtuoso platform (which is a
DBMS, WebDAV file server, Middleware combo). Basically, you can work
using fileystem interaction patterns while the underlying data is
accessible via a number of interfaces and returned in a variety of
negotiated formats.

--
Regards,

Kingsley Idehen