Re: files or database for solid pods [Was: Towards Solid Lite]

On 11/1/23 12:20 PM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:

> st 1. 11. 2023 v 17:18 odesílatel Kingsley Idehen
> <kidehen@openlinksw.com> napsal:
>
>     Hi Jonas,
>
>     On 11/1/23 9:30 AM, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
>     > RDF is a ONE-THING with multiple serializations, and I really
>     thought
>     > that we all along agreed that this discussion was about which of
>     the
>     > RDF serializations, not about ditching RDF altogether. - Jonas
>

>     How about JSON being just another notation and serialization combo
>     for
>     expressing and representing entity relationships using graphic or
>     linear
>     notation?
>
>     Key thing is that I don't see an RDF vs JSON world. I see JSON as
>     just
>     another way of expressing and representing data using what RDF
>     standardizes (i.e., and entity relationship graph).
>
>     JSON to me is just about an RDF graph comprising lots of blank
>     nodes for
>     subject and object denotation :)
>

> Bear in mind it's relatively simple to turn JSON into full 5* JSON-LD
> using the @vocab directive
>
> Activity pub goes one step further by hard coding a default into the spec
>
> So the worlds of JSON, JSON-LD and RDF are far closer than they may seem.

JSON (a notation and serialization format) vs RDF (abstract data
definition language) should have never been a debate, ever.

Entity relationship graphs are expressible in JSON too. What skews
matters is the issue of identifiers and resolution.

Solid comprises components that MUST be loosely-coupled. Unfortunately,
that's what become challenged to pull off (strangely) without
implementation details derailing matters.

Solid depends of profile documents comprising structured document. HTML
is a universally supported document type for solving that problem, even
more so with structured data islands embedded (a pattern bootstrapped by
Google in regards to SEO via Schema.org).

JSON-LD comes into play as the emerging preferred notation for
structured data islands embedded in HTML, due to Google's influence.

That's the client side, in a nutshell.

--
Regards,

Kingsley Idehen