Re: files or database for solid pods [Was: Towards Solid Lite]

Quoting Melvin Carvalho (2023-11-01 17:15:29)
> st 1. 11. 2023 v 16:56 odesílatel Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>
> napsal:
> To put some numbers on it, and while numbers are not everything, according
> to common crawl:
>
> HTML on the web: 98.3908%
> Turtle on the web: 0.0013%
>
> Bear in mind that the HTML can be further sub divided into HTML with data
> in it.
>
> As such a standard for data on the web, has better chances of broad
> adoption, if HTML is included.

Noone talks about including or excluding HTML or anything else.

Here's how I would describe it, similarly casually:

We discuss if sensible that the spec *require* that *ALL* human and
technical agents embracing this new spec *MUST* be able to parse and
serialize HTML. Including a microcontroller in your shoes, causing it
to need heavier batteries, consume more power and be more expensive,
because it requires more powerful computation and more memory than if
tolerable to only implement a JSON-based API. And including a a future
super lightweight Wikipedia browser bypassing the HTML layer and
instead browsing/searching/editing wiki markup directly with metadata as
human-friendly RDF/Turtle, but anyway bloating to hundreds of megabytes
in size and gigabytes in memory consumption due to needing a fullblown
web browser as silly baggage only to comply with spec demands.

...or if the spec only require RDF (in whatever form or shape), and
merely *RECOMMEND* that user agents support HTML, because communication
offering a document-web fallback aids in a more webby semantic data web.

 - Jonas

 * Sponsorship: https://ko-fi.com/drjones