Re: files or database for solid pods [Was: Towards Solid Lite]

On 10/31/23 9:23 PM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:

> st 1. 11. 2023 v 2:02 odesílatel Kingsley Idehen
> <kidehen@openlinksw.com> napsal:
>

>     On 10/31/23 5:54 PM, Nicolas Chauvat wrote:
>     > Le Tue, Oct 31, 2023 at 03:41:40PM -0400, Kingsley Idehen a écrit :
>     >> That's exactly how we use Solid atop our Virtuoso platform
>     (which is a DBMS,
>     >> WebDAV file server, Middleware combo). Basically, you can work
>     using
>     >> fileystem interaction patterns while the underlying data is
>     accessible via a
>     >> number of interfaces and returned in a variety of negotiated
>     formats.
>     > We tried to do the same a few months back, based on our own semweb
>     > framework <https://www.cubicweb.org> but we got lost in what seemed
>     > like a maze of specs in which we did not manage to trace a clear
>     path
>     > to reach our goal within the time we had available.
>     >
>     > My guess is that other people would be tempted to give a shot at
>     their
>     > own implementation with their preferred toolset and that there is
>     > value in having a clear reading path for implementers in that set of
>     > documentation / recommandation / test suite.
>     >
>     > Is that a problem that Solid-Lite would address in some way ?
>     >

>     I certainly sense that's the goal of a Solid-Lite i.e., a simpler
>     spec
>     that enables broad implementation.
>

> Broad implementation of course a goal, facilitated by an easy set of
> requirements
>
> Looking at it in reverse, an easy, bug-free server implementation will
> inform the elements that are selected, at least at first, for solid
> lite, from the bigger Solid spec
>
> There is a caveat that timbl has always said that http:// and file://
> spaces are part of the web.  I'm sure this is part of the original
> vision.  The web space and file space working together in a read-write
> way.
>
> I take a photo on my phone, it goes into my shared folder, and my
> friends get a notification.  This seems quite fundamental?

That can all happen with any underlying storage specificity. A server
implementer can pull that off by just implementing interfaces (from a
spec) as they see fit.

The spec, and what's deemed simple or hard are separate things.

A reference implementation shouldn't be affected by any of this, it just
needs to be implemented by whoever is so motivated to do so etc..

> So if this is not mandatory, it should be in one of the early
> optional.  I'm not 100% convinced it's not mandatory, maybe Tim will
> say one day.  But it's fine to compromise on this issue.

The only thing that should be mandatory is an ability to perform
read-write operations using a protocol where the following are
loosely-coupled:

1. Identity

2. Identification

3. Authentication

4. Authorization

5. Storage

If an implementation results in JSON-LD being stored in a filesystem
with regards to points 1-5, then so be it; likewise, if the data ends up
in a DBMS. These details simply shouldn't matter.

If a group of motivated individuals seeks to build an implementation,
then of course, among them, these storage preference issues require some
kind of team agreement. However, that shouldn't have anything to do with
the spec they are implementing.

Kingsley