Re: files or database for solid pods [Was: Towards Solid Lite]

st 1. 11. 2023 v 2:42 odesílatel Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>
napsal:

> On 10/31/23 9:23 PM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
>

> st 1. 11. 2023 v 2:02 odesílatel Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>
> napsal:

>> DBMS,
>> via a
>> > We tried to do the same a few months back, based on our own semweb
>> > framework <https://www.cubicweb.org> but we got lost in what seemed
>> > like a maze of specs in which we did not manage to trace a clear path
>> > to reach our goal within the time we had available.
>> >
>> > My guess is that other people would be tempted to give a shot at their
>> > own implementation with their preferred toolset and that there is
>> > value in having a clear reading path for implementers in that set of
>> > documentation / recommandation / test suite.
>> >
>> > Is that a problem that Solid-Lite would address in some way ?
>> >

>> I certainly sense that's the goal of a Solid-Lite i.e., a simpler spec
>> that enables broad implementation.
>>

> Broad implementation of course a goal, facilitated by an easy set of
> requirements
>
> Looking at it in reverse, an easy, bug-free server implementation will
> inform the elements that are selected, at least at first, for solid lite,
> from the bigger Solid spec
>
> There is a caveat that timbl has always said that http:// and file://
> spaces are part of the web.  I'm sure this is part of the original vision.
> The web space and file space working together in a read-write way.
>

> I take a photo on my phone, it goes into my shared folder, and my friends
> get a notification.  This seems quite fundamental?
>

> That can all happen with any underlying storage specificity. A server
> implementer can pull that off by just implementing interfaces (from a spec)
> as they see fit.
>
> The spec, and what's deemed simple or hard are separate things.
>
> A reference implementation shouldn't be affected by any of this, it just
> needs to be implemented by whoever is so motivated to do so etc..
>

> So if this is not mandatory, it should be in one of the early optional.
> I'm not 100% convinced it's not mandatory, maybe Tim will say one day.  But
> it's fine to compromise on this issue.
>

> The only thing that should be mandatory is an ability to perform
> read-write operations using a protocol where the following are
> loosely-coupled:
>
> 1. Identity
>
> 2. Identification
>
> 3. Authentication
>
> 4. Authorization
>
> 5. Storage
>

> If an implementation results in JSON-LD being stored in a filesystem with
> regards to points 1-5, then so be it; likewise, if the data ends up in a
> DBMS. These details simply shouldn't matter.
>
> If a group of motivated individuals seeks to build an implementation, then
> of course, among them, these storage preference issues require some kind of
> team agreement. However, that shouldn't have anything to do with the spec
> they are implementing.

Sounds good.  I've tried to capture some of the feedback into a motivation
document:

The simplest possible subset that can make a viable server should be the
starting point.

https://solid-lite.github.io/draft-spec/MOTIVATION

I think it could be done in a way that gives everyone what they want by
combining modules tested against the test suite.

I'd love clarification from Timbl whether he thinks file:// is core to
solid or not.  But ultimately that's an implementation detail, that could
be a unit test, I suppose.

Other than that, I dont see much in the way of blockers.