Re: files or database for solid pods [Was: Towards Solid Lite]

st 1. 11. 2023 v 2:02 odesílatel Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>
napsal:

> On 10/31/23 5:54 PM, Nicolas Chauvat wrote:
> > Le Tue, Oct 31, 2023 at 03:41:40PM -0400, Kingsley Idehen a écrit :
> >> That's exactly how we use Solid atop our Virtuoso platform (which is a
> DBMS,
> >> WebDAV file server, Middleware combo). Basically, you can work using
> >> fileystem interaction patterns while the underlying data is accessible
> via a
> >> number of interfaces and returned in a variety of negotiated formats.
> > We tried to do the same a few months back, based on our own semweb
> > framework <https://www.cubicweb.org> but we got lost in what seemed
> > like a maze of specs in which we did not manage to trace a clear path
> > to reach our goal within the time we had available.
> >
> > My guess is that other people would be tempted to give a shot at their
> > own implementation with their preferred toolset and that there is
> > value in having a clear reading path for implementers in that set of
> > documentation / recommandation / test suite.
> >
> > Is that a problem that Solid-Lite would address in some way ?
> >

> I certainly sense that's the goal of a Solid-Lite i.e., a simpler spec
> that enables broad implementation.

Broad implementation of course a goal, facilitated by an easy set of
requirements

Looking at it in reverse, an easy, bug-free server implementation will
inform the elements that are selected, at least at first, for solid lite,
from the bigger Solid spec

There is a caveat that timbl has always said that http:// and file://
spaces are part of the web.  I'm sure this is part of the original vision.
The web space and file space working together in a read-write way.

I take a photo on my phone, it goes into my shared folder, and my friends
get a notification.  This seems quite fundamental?

So if this is not mandatory, it should be in one of the early optional.
I'm not 100% convinced it's not mandatory, maybe Tim will say one day.  But
it's fine to compromise on this issue.