Re: Towards Solid Lite

po 4. 12. 2023 v 18:28 odesílatel Abram Booth <abram@cos.io> napsal:

> On Sat, Oct 28, 2023 at 10:55 AM Vivien Kraus <vivien@planete-kraus.eu>
> wrote:
>
>> [...]
>>
>> Here is my idea for a complexity ladder:
>>
>> 1. Everything is either public or private to the “owner”. Authorization
>> is much simpler, authentication need not be decentralized.
>>
>> 2. Everything is only writable by the “owner”, but other people can
>> read specific parts with (read-only) WAC. Authentication is done with
>> HTTP signatures.
>>
>> 3. The DPoP-based authentication scheme is supported.
>>
>> [...]
>>

> this is a helpful framing... i wonder about a step 0 on the complexity
> ladder where everything is read-only -- a "solid zero" app (so to speak)
> would not have to reconcile updates, only produce rdf representations
> (whether based on a graph database, compute task, handwritten turtle files,
> or whatever) that could be served according to whichever auth approach from
> the rest of the ladder (tho each slightly simpler, because read-only)

Yes, that would be an extreme simplification.  The downside is that you
lose the element of interactive apps and an operating system.  I'm a bit
biased as im part of the read-write web movement, so I lean towards writing
being a small thing to add, and giving a lot of benefits.  If it's just
read only, it's tough to distinguish yourself from a regular web server.