Re: solid.community and solidcommunity.org

On 10/11/20 2:06 PM, Tim Berners-Lee wrote:
> For those who are just catching up on the situation with
> solid.community and now solidcommunity.net
> <http://solidcommunity.net>, you can find most of the relevant
> information in my comment here:
> https://gitlab.com/solid.community/proposals/-/issues/16#note_426455085
>
> To summarize, the Solid community pod service is still running strong
> — data has not changed hands or switched providers. We’ve just had to
> switch domains because Melvin unilaterally chose to take the
> solid.community domain offline. The change will of course break all
> links to things on the server, and mean all its users have to switch
> their WebIDs, but the accounts are all preserved, through the efforts
> of Justin and Jackson from the Solid Project’s ‘admin’ team
> <https://github.com/solid/process/blob/master/administrators.md>- who
> have in fact had been maintaining the server and cloud environment
> with updates and bug fixes for a while. They made automated tools to
> make the transition as seamless as possible, and community members
> like Alain and others have already contributed more.
> They had to act fast because the solid.community service had been
> providing a lot of value. More than 50,000 accounts had been created
> over the years!  It was being used, for example, as a team space for
> the open source solidos project. The Solid Roadmap task tracker was
> there as well. Who knows how many other experiments and tests and
> projects?  I imagine many people joined on the assumption, from the
> domain name if nothing else, that it was a server run for the benefit
> of the community.
>
> In order to help prevent situations like this from happening in the
> future, the Solid community Pod service — including the new domain
> name, solidcommunity.net <http://solidcommunity.net>, and the servers
> behind it — are now properly administered by the Solid Admins in
> accordance with the Solid governance process
> <https://github.com/solid/process#administration>.
>
> As to the (relatively modest) running costs, the server has been
> funded since 2014 from the old Solid project at MIT.  That funding
> continues.
>
> The server, now at https://solidcommunity.net, has along with
> inrupt.net <http://inrupt.net> been one of the two main pod services
> which people typically pick when they want to look at solid.  This has
> been while the number and seriousness of apps and operating system
> frameworks they can use with it has been increasing. There are several
> other pod providers in fact, and many more expected, run by companies,
> government agencies, non-profits and individuals, with different
> expectations.  So the overall resilience of the solid ecosystem is in
> general increasing.
>
> Tim

Hi Tim,

How does password recovery on https://solidcommunity.net/ work i.e.,
should users expect an email from solidcommunity.net with the password
reset link?

I just tested the process above and I couldn't find any password reset
mail in my inbox. Luckily, I always make hard copies of my passwords so
I can access my pod.

--
Regards,

Kingsley Idehen