Re: internationalization issues

[cc'ing Richard Ishida]

On 10/22/2015 10:27 AM, James M Snell wrote:
> Hmm... I'd be far more inclined just to keep the existing language map
> mechanism.
>
> It's unfortunate that JSON-LD does not provide an easier way of
> establishing the document's default language without reliance on the
> @context

The problem as I understand it is that most modern programming languages
that can simply input JSON into objects won't read @context very well
without a bit of special processing due to the '@' symbol. How the '@'
symbol got into the JSON-LD spec to begin with, I have no idea.

However, off the top of my head there's no reason why we can't just say
in AS2.0 that we can look at the @language in @context but if there's no
@context, just look at a "language" tag. That's typically how I've seen
it in the wild and a lot more intuitive than @context and @language for
non-JSON-LD parsers (i.e. the majority of parsers).

One of the few advantages of XML in this space over JSON was better defined internationalization.

    cheers,
          harry