Re: internationalization issues

On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 8:51 AM, Harry Halpin <hhalpin@w3.org> wrote:
[snip]
> I'll try to get to this next week, but my high-level feedback is likely
> for AS2.0 to be successful everything outside the basic actor-verb model
> and the kinds of metadata in Winer's RSS specs/Atom should be removed
> and put back in Activity Vocabulary.

This makes no sense given that all of the properties are ALREADY
defined in the Activity Vocabulary. The Core spec deals only with the
serialization and relies on the Vocabulary document to define the
actual terms.

> I also am still strongly against the Activity Vocabulary being a
> normative Recommendation, as it will lead to endless bikeshedding and
> its a Sisyphean task to describe all social interactions using a single
> vocabulary, and the vocabulary should align where possible with
> IETF/microformats specs down to the 'string' level.
>[snip]

The Vocabulary does not attempt to define all social interactions,
just a handful of those that we know are already relevant to a good
number of existing social systems. If there are suggestions for
removing specific terms, then I'm all for looking at those.

As for bike shedding, if the minimal set of terms defined in the
vocabulary document are not to any specific implementers liking, there
is a well defined extensibility mechanism that allows developers to
use terms from other vocabularies quite easily. Implementing support
for such extensions is fairly trivial (e.g.
https://github.com/jasnell/as2-schema)

At this point in the process, it would be far more productive to focus
on implementation and fixing the specific parts of the spec that make
implementation difficult, etc.

- James