Re: Issue-19 questions remain - a proposal

On 04/22/2015 02:43 AM, henry.story@bblfish.net wrote:

>> On 22 Apr 2015, at 02:29, Harry Halpin <hhalpin@w3.org> wrote:
>>

>>> What people find frustrating is that your resolution does not quite make
>>> sense. A wiki is not a tool that one can use to communicate one to many.
>>> It needs a notification system. And our wiki does not have that.
>>

>> If you want to 'watch' a wiki-page Henry, there's a 'Watchlist'
>> functionality. You may want to do that with, for example, user stories.
>> See Watchlist link in upper right hand corner.
>
> Ok so if I go to the Social Web WG wiki page for the 28 April 2014 Meeting which
> is located at
>
> https://www.w3.org/wiki/Socialwg/2015-04-14
>
> And I then go to the watchlist at the top right corner I arrive on the
> empty page
>
> https://www.w3.org/wiki/Special:Watchlist
>
> If I then click on the  "show all" link I get to
>
> https://www.w3.org/wiki/index.php?title=Special:Watchlist&days=0
>
> which shows me the changes for all wikis on all w3c wiki pages. I don't suppose
> you suggest we should be tracking all the w3c wiki pages to find out what is happening?
>
> Harry have you ever used the watch list in the way you are suggesting we should do in the resolution
> that you have suggested I did not read, even though I quoted it in the beginning of this thread:
>
> "RESOLVED: IRC and email and wiki are our canonical communication
> channels and if there are dropped balls we handled them as needed. For
> example, concern that not everybody was reading the mailing list which
> is fixed by bringing up things in the wiki."[1]
>
> How does bringing things up in the wiki help communicate with the group if they
> have to track all the changes across all the wiki pages?

Henry,

Here's how you use a mediawiki watchlist:

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Watchlist

Typically you only watch wiki-pages relevant to you. Your page is blank
because you have to add pages you are 'watching'. That lets you get a
quick summary of all changes. I find that useful.

Although I don't use this particular sub-feature, I think you can enable
watchlist of wiki-pages to send you an email when a change is made:

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:$wgEnotifWatchlist

Again, the WG uses and edits a finite number of wiki-pages, most people
simply check those pages for changes manually before the meeting,
particularly if they are in the agenda.

You seem to be the only one (or at least only vocal person) in the WG
having trouble  following wikis. I don't see why that's a valid reason
to re-open an open-ended communication channel discussion when we are
just doing what other WGs do, although some members prefer some means to
others.

  cheers,
     harry