Re: extension model of RSS/Atom (ISSUE-16 discussion)

hello elf.

On 2015-04-12 13:47, ☮ elf Pavlik ☮ wrote:
> While spec defines how to expand just few common prefixes, it also uses
> in example *gr:Location* not included in this list.
> http://www.w3.org/TR/activitystreams-core/#fig-an-object-that-is-both-a-place-and-a-gr-location

i am not arguing that the spec does not map what's in the spec. i am
pointing out that per the current spec mapping cannot be done in all
cases because no context is required for extensions, and JSON-LD is not
a required processing model.

>> since for now we're still saying we're "JSON-based" and should also
>> demonstrate what this means when you're *not* operating in RDF-land, we
>> have to be clear what it means when people are not as careful as you,
>> and what it means for these two different user groups (JSON users and
>> RDF users) to interact via AS2.
> Once again, IMO to make it possible we really need to come up with smart
> strategy for using JSON-LD contexts

mostly, i am talking about that we need to come up with a robust way to
define what extensions have to look like, and what consumers are
supposed to report to applications when they encounter one that is not
based on JSON-LD.

>> you can think of this as the exact equivalent of pre-infoset XML: people
>> could be disciplined and use it in the way later formalized by XMLNS,
>> but pre-XMLNS, it was ok for people to produce non-XMLNS XML, and the
>> question then is what's that supposed to mean. we keep dodging that
>> question, and i think it's going to bite us.
> I must admit not knowing so much about history around XML technologies.

that's ok, but we're in exactly the same spot. so for those old enough
to remember XML, here's where we are:

- XMLNS was a useful idea and introduced its own abstract layer, the
infoset. pretty much all XML techs in existence today are strictly
speaking not XML techs, but infoset techs.

- producing non-XMLNS XML (i.e., XML that cannot be parsed into an
infoset) these days will get you rejected by almost any toolchain out there.

- there are well-defined expectations what infoset-based techs should
make available to applications, and that seems to work well.

i have yet to see any proposal how apart from magic hardcoded mapping
rules based on JSON-LD contexts, AS2 will robustly handle extensions
that are not conforming to JSON-LD. i guess we'll see once we have test
cases exploring that end of the format spectrum, and making statements
about what should be made available to applications and how.

cheers,

dret.