Re: Activity Streams 1.0 basic schema verbs and object types supported by pump.io

On Mon, Nov 03, 2014 at 07:50:41PM +0100, ☮ elf Pavlik ☮ wrote:
> On 11/03/2014 07:35 PM, Evan Prodromou wrote:
> > As most people know, the AS 1.0 spec only defines one verb, "post".
> >
> > http://activitystrea.ms/specs/json/1.0/#post-verb
> > <http://activitystrea.ms/specs/json/1.0/#post-verb>
> >
> > Other verbs are defined in the "Base Schema", here:
> >
> > https://github.com/activitystreams/activity-schema/blob/master/activity-schema.md
> >
> > I think we're all pretty well-agreed that only some subset of these
> > verbs would be coming into AS 2.0.

> I would still like to clarify reasons of not reusing schema.org for that
> purpose.

It's hugely important for me as well- ActivityStreams has got to be reasonably
conversant with the rest of the web where possible. Using schema.org vocab
where possible would go a huge way towards making me feel confident that
AS takes seriously an obligation to be more than it's own particular thing.

AS:

{
  "actor": {
    "objectType": "person",
    "displayName": "Sally"},
  "verb": "create",
  "object": {
    "objectType": "product",
    "displayName": "Some amazing product"
  }
}

Schema.org:

{
  "@context": "http://schema.org",
  "@type": "CreateAction",
  "agent": {
    "@type": "Person",
    "name": "Sally"
  },
  "result": {
    "@type": "Product",
    "name": "Some amazing product"
  }
}

The difference isn't great, yet everyone else on the web is going to be using
the latter (as it's range is far wider than social, and as it defines
actionability and affordances). I'd like to the impedance eliminated entirely,
but at the very least a mapping would afford some start for AS being able to
be social with the rest of the web.

My apologies for assisting with the thread jacking. Thanks EP, thanks all.