Re: Mobile Across all aspects and deliverables of Social Web XG

On Fri, 27 Feb 2009, Christine Perey wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> On Fri, 27 Feb 2009, Harry Halpin wrote:
>
>> Second, we do have a few mobile phone people involved.
>
> Most people, while users of mobile phones, are not mobile phones themselves
> ;-).
>
> I think what you wish, and it is laudable, is for those list subscribers
> (those on this mailing list who were at one point involved in the discussion
> by way of the workshop in Barcelona) with mobile-centric or mobile focus
> agendas to feel included and that their concerns will be addressed in a
> narrowly focused XG.
>
>> In the smaller proposed charter [2]
>
> [1] http://esw.w3.org/topic/SocialWebXGCharter
> [2] http://esw.w3.org/topic/UnifiedSocialXG
>
> I have visited [2] and the charter [2] is the EXPANDED charter.
> Meaning, [2] is the one which has the task forces outlining different topics
> of interest within the large scope of Social Networking and which I believe
> needs to be given a chance. It may not float/pass the final test when put to
> a vote of the AC, however, with some work and the participation of a
> sufficient number of people, [2] could be submitted for consideration as a
> new XG to W3C.

Again, the issue with [2] is that I it's grown so big, and all my attempts
to make it smaller  have not been met with approval by you or Tim, such
that I am not sure what to do.

Ideally, we would re-merge [1] and [2] with a smaller number of
deliverables (Again, I'd max out around 5) and a more tight focus. If one
of those is a report on the mobile arena, that could be very useful and I
would be in support of it. I am thinking that might subsume User
Experience/Contextual Data or be the same as those. The lack of activity
around those has been noticed though.

>> it might be feasible to add a report that focuses specifically on the
> future of *mobile* social
>> networking.
>> Although I strongly believe in one Web that steps across mobile and
> non-mobile
>> boundaries, a report that details the advantages of mobile networking,
> accessibility, and how
>> the W3C can co-ordinate future work in this area could be useful.
>
> Are you putting a new deliverable on the table for discussion?
>
> My hope (what I sought to express in an Activity by Topic Matrix previously)
> is that ALL the topics and deliverables of the Social Web XG will take into
> account the special circumstances of users accessing via mobile
> technology/networks. This could be done with the contributions of "mobile
> phone people" as well as with the Mobile Web Initiative participation.
>
> In other words, when a deliverable is outlined, it should plan to treat (and
> in the task force then work through) the actual or potential differences to
> be taken into account when considering the user's *access* technology. I
> guess everyone knows that handsets which do not support mobile browsing
> still dominate and support the social networking experiences of many people
> but are not considered included in the scope of this charter since they are
> not accessing the "Web".
>
>> However, in the second,
>> larger proposed charter [2], there "contextual data" and "user experience"
> volunteers are
>> missing, and the charter is basically empty. Perhaps there is a lack of
> interest from the
>> mobile community, despite their heavy presence at the workshop? If not, now
> would be a
>> good time to speak up.
>
> I fear that you have drawn an incorrect conclusion here.
>
> There is not a lack of interest on this topic from the mobile community.
> Quite the contrary, there are some (12 community operators as of Monday of
> this week) who are not waiting for the W3C to pay attention to this
> important topic of context and location, etc, and who have already
> established an interoperability protocol/alliance.
>
> It is called Open Sharing of Location-Based Objects (OSLO).

Good luck to them, and hopefully they decide to help. Again, I am just
looking at people who have been added or added themselves to [2].

> Please see [4] for the announcement of their alliance. This alliance is
> needed because industry bodies which could play a role move slowly by
> comparison with nimble companies who have users of contextual data today.

Well, given that all previous efforts in this sort of area to my knowledge
haven't worked too well, I am a fan of an organized process rather than
just starting new bodies at the drop of a hat, but hopefully if they keep
going we can communicate and work together.

http://www.perey.com/W3C_Activity_by_Topic_Matrix.html > [4]

--
 				--harry

 	Harry Halpin