Mobile Across all aspects and deliverables of Social Web XG

Hi all,

On Fri, 27 Feb 2009, Harry Halpin wrote:

>Second, we do have a few mobile phone people involved.

Most people, while users of mobile phones, are not mobile phones themselves
;-).

I think what you wish, and it is laudable, is for those list subscribers
(those on this mailing list who were at one point involved in the discussion
by way of the workshop in Barcelona) with mobile-centric or mobile focus
agendas to feel included and that their concerns will be addressed in a
narrowly focused XG.

>In the smaller proposed charter [2]

[1] http://esw.w3.org/topic/SocialWebXGCharter
[2] http://esw.w3.org/topic/UnifiedSocialXG

I have visited [2] and the charter [2] is the EXPANDED charter.
Meaning, [2] is the one which has the task forces outlining different topics
of interest within the large scope of Social Networking and which I believe
needs to be given a chance. It may not float/pass the final test when put to
a vote of the AC, however, with some work and the participation of a
sufficient number of people, [2] could be submitted for consideration as a
new XG to W3C.

>it might be feasible to add a report that focuses specifically on the
future of *mobile* social
>networking.
>Although I strongly believe in one Web that steps across mobile and
non-mobile
>boundaries, a report that details the advantages of mobile networking,
accessibility, and how
>the W3C can co-ordinate future work in this area could be useful.

Are you putting a new deliverable on the table for discussion?

My hope (what I sought to express in an Activity by Topic Matrix previously)
is that ALL the topics and deliverables of the Social Web XG will take into
account the special circumstances of users accessing via mobile
technology/networks. This could be done with the contributions of "mobile
phone people" as well as with the Mobile Web Initiative participation.

In other words, when a deliverable is outlined, it should plan to treat (and
in the task force then work through) the actual or potential differences to
be taken into account when considering the user's *access* technology. I
guess everyone knows that handsets which do not support mobile browsing
still dominate and support the social networking experiences of many people
but are not considered included in the scope of this charter since they are
not accessing the "Web".

>However, in the second,
>larger proposed charter [2], there "contextual data" and "user experience"
volunteers are
>missing, and the charter is basically empty. Perhaps there is a lack of
interest from the
>mobile community, despite their heavy presence at the workshop? If not, now
would be a
>good time to speak up.

I fear that you have drawn an incorrect conclusion here.

There is not a lack of interest on this topic from the mobile community.
Quite the contrary, there are some (12 community operators as of Monday of
this week) who are not waiting for the W3C to pay attention to this
important topic of context and location, etc, and who have already
established an interoperability protocol/alliance.

It is called Open Sharing of Location-Based Objects (OSLO).

Please see [4] for the announcement of their alliance. This alliance is
needed because industry bodies which could play a role move slowly by
comparison with nimble companies who have users of contextual data today.

[3] http://www.perey.com/W3C_Activity_by_Topic_Matrix.html
[4]
http://www.aka-aki.com/press-files/mitteilungen/EN/02232009_oslo_alliance.pd

Christine