Re: Boeing resignations (hopefully temporary for me)

On 1 October 2015 at 18:46, Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 1 October 2015 at 17:39, Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> On 1 October 2015 at 15:02, Krebs, Edward (E.C.) <ekrebs@ford.com> wrote:
>>
>>> There are some good architecture starting points. The social Headlights
>>> task Force started on this path. I suggested one view based on that initial
>>> work in the *Workshop on Social Standards* in August 2013.
>>> http://www.w3.org/2013/socialweb/papers/An%20Enterprise%20Social%20Network%20Reference%20Architecture.pdf
>>>

>>> IBM presented one in 2014:
>>> http://www.slideshare.net/heathwulf/social-architecture-1-h2014
>>>

>> Thanks Edward, these are great slides.
>>
>> What really struck me was the call for a:
>>
>> - People Centric
>> - Relationship Driven
>>
>> architecture.  I think the work we've started out on has a gap here.
>> While there's a lot of work done to cater for micro blogging enthusiasts
>> the enterprise has been less well served, imho.
>>
>> I think these presentations could be a great basis to create an
>> architecture document, which is missing, not just in this group, but in the
>> social web in general.  In creating a people centric, relationship driven
>> architecture we can talk about people and relationships.  How this can be
>> achieved technically, as part of a social graph.  The declarative nature
>> using the law of least power.  Having open ended extensibility to cater for
>> enterprise use cases as well as common social networking features.
>>
>> Essentially creating the awww [1] of the social web.  An essential
>> document for anyone creating a system in the social web, either in an
>> enterprise or public setting, that will cover all the base work needed to
>> get started with real world use cases.  It's something that's been missing
>> for 10 years, and imho, one reason that has lead to balkanization.
>>
>> This is an IG deliverable.  Would anyone in the IG wish to help with
>> this?
>>
>> Where could we get started -- perhaps a wiki page, then migrate to a
>> github repo?
>>

> elf has suggested building on :
>
> http://w3c-social.github.io/social-arch/
>
> Which I think is a great idea.  I've chatted to Amy too, who hopefully may
> have some cycles free to collaborate.
>
> Input here or on in the github issues very welcome! :)

Im going to start working on this document, but my initial thoughts are:

"Data Model" is too broad a section, I'd like to see it broken down as
follows:

"People" -- this is a loose term that can mean nodes in general, referring
to people, agents, accounts, profiles, groups etc. but try to capture that
the social people is people oriented.

Have architectural best practices for modeling people:

1. Give a person a URL
2. Give that url a type (as exemplified by open graph protocol, schema.org
and foaf)
3. Distinguish between the (HTTP) document and the person, as this could
cause processor problems
4. Allow people to have relationships

Then cover "Relationships" as a basis of relationship driven design

1. Show the nature of relationships as one way and two way
2. Show typical relationship styles such as, follow, friend, co-worker etc.
3. Show an open ended architecture for extensibility and reuse

Once these two core pieces are described, show how they are combined to
form a social graph.  Talk about the read, write and search functionality
etc.

I would suggest moving as much of the technical decisions as possible out
into another doc, and keeping the architecture document clean and minimal
yet, covering all the basics an implementor would need to get started and
to tackle the user stories.