RE: [w3c sml] [4632] Use of IRIs

Here is my proposal for this issue.

Proposal:

I propose that we should not refer to any specific URI/IRI RFC in the
SML and SML-IF specs. Instead, we should let the definition of sml:uri
be governed by the definition of xs:anyURI type defined in the schema
version we align to.

Reasons:

1.    sml:uri is of type xs:anyURI as currently defined in the SML
schema. This type supports encoding international characters using a
well defined escaping scheme
(http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-xmlschema-2-20041028/datatypes.html#anyUR
I). SML instance documents can of course have internationalized content.
Thus internationalization is possible without any change to the spec as
it is defined today.

2.    We have decided to align SML 1.1 spec with XML schema 1.0 which is
aligned with URIs (RFC2396/2732).

3.    Most XML schema 1.0 processor implementations do not support IRIs.
This means that SML implementations that use an off-the-shelf schema 1.0
processor will need to provide additional implementation to support
IRIs. Implementing RFC 3987 (46 pages long) is non-trivial amount of
work. This is an unnecessary implementation burden given that
internationalization is already possible as described in #1.

4.    If we decide to align SML spec with XML schema 1.1 in a future
release, we will automatically get IRI functionality as schema 1.1 is
aligned with the IRI RFCs.

5.    The SML spec does not put any restrictions on additional reference
schemes that can be defined. If an application does not wish to use the
internationalization support already provided by sml:uri (xs:anyURI) for
reasons specific to its domain, it is free to define additional
scheme(s) to meet its needs without violating the SML 1.1 specification.