Re: [Conformance] Definition of Compliance vs. conformance

Hi all,

In my thesis from February 2016, I wrote the following paragraph about the
subject:

*The meaning of the words conformance and compliance*
Although the words conformance and compliance are often used as synonyms,
they each have a
distinctive meaning:

*Conformance* - action in accordance with some specified standard
*Compliance*  - the act or process of doing what you have been asked or
ordered to do

In this document, the words are not interchangeable: conformance describes
meeting the
requirements that are defined in the WCAG 2.0 specification, whereas
compliance describes
meeting the requirements that are defined in a web accessibility policy.
The two words match only
in a scenario where a policy prescribes that websites must conform to WCAG
2.0.

*source: https://30x.eu/thesis <https://30x.eu/thesis>, page 10 (bottom)*

So I'm with Gregg Vanderheiden: "You comply with laws and conform to
standards." My only addition: "...laws and policies..."

Nowadays I work as a policy maker on web accessibility. In my opinion it is
important that the distinction between the two terms is well documented to
avoid confusion.

Kind regards,

Raph de Rooij
E: post@raph.nl