RE: Can Silver have normative technology specific requirements?

Thx Wilco!

From: Wilco Fiers [mailto:wilco.fiers@deque.com]
Sent: vrijdag 23 november 2018 12:39
To: Abma, J.D. (Jake) <Jake.Abma@ing.com>
Cc: David MacDonald <david100@sympatico.ca>; public-silver@w3.org; Hall, Charles (DET-MRM) <Charles.Hall@mrm-mccann.com>
Subject: Re: Can Silver have normative technology specific requirements?

Jake wrote:
> Are the SC not the only normative aspect of WCAG, not the Principles and Guidelines?

WCAG 2 isn't clear on this. On the one hand it says in 5.1 (https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG21/#interpreting-normative-requirements) that the introduction, appendices, examples and all sections marked as "non-normative" aren't normative. That doesn't include the guidelines and principles, so in that respect those two are normative.

Unfortunately there is a second interpretation possible. If you look at the definition of "normative" it says "required for conformance". If you then look up what is required for conformance, it only includes the success criteria. Not the principles or guidelines (not even the conformance section itself).

It's a little weird. I've always just pretended that "normative" definition doesn't exist. What is and isn't normative has nothing to do with if something conformance or not.

ATTENTION:
The information in this e-mail is confidential and only meant for the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, don't use or disclose it in any way. Please let the sender know and delete the message immediately.