From: David MacDonald [mailto:david@can-adapt.com]
Sent: maandag 26 november 2018 23:35
To: Jeanne Spellman <jspellman@spellmanconsulting.com>; Wilco Fiers <wilco.fiers@deque.com>
Cc: Silver Task Force <public-silver@w3.org>
Subject: Re: Can Silver have normative technology specific requirements?

Hi Jeanne

As requested, I've updated the 1.3.1 model to demonstrate what I mentioned about using something similar to the current SC language as the last "catch all" method for each guideline. The idea is overcome the concern that by making the methods part of the standard that we'd have to supply an endless array of techniques in order to keep up with technology and address every edge case.

So at the end of the methods for each guideline, there would be a fallback "catch all" method that would basically look like current a WCAG success criterion. A testable statement that is technology agnostic. It would have some of the detrimental aspects of current SCs, in that they would be technology agnostic and passive tense testable statements that could be referred to in situations where none of the methods are sufficient.

The usefulness of this is that stakeholders could refer to this method when creating their own techniques, so they can have flexibility and do not have to be confined only to our prescribed methods, they can cite this method and make up their own... and yet have the same obligations of making sure it meets the method's requirements.

This catch all method could also be a funnel for new methods because a developer could create a technique under this method and use it right away, and submit it as a possible method to add to our list methods.

This transfers the cryptic language to the end of a long list of methods.  Most devs can ignore it, unless none of the other methods work for them.

http://davidmacd.com/WCAG/silver/information-relationships.html

See method #11

Cheers,
David MacDonald