W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-silver@w3.org > February 2017

Minutes of Silver Task Force of 7 February 2017

From: Jeanne Spellman <jspellman@spellmanconsulting.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2017 12:16:46 -0500
To: Silver Task Force <public-silver@w3.org>
Message-ID: <e4595a60-08f8-8750-8ad4-e8f735109b3e@spellmanconsulting.com>
Formatted version of minutes: 
https://www.w3.org/2017/02/07-silver-minutes.html

Text version of minutes:

    [1]W3C

       [1] http://www.w3.org/

                                - DRAFT -

                     Silver Task Force Teleconference

07 Feb 2017

    See also: [2]IRC log

       [2] http://www.w3.org/2017/02/07-silver-irc

Attendees

    Present
           Sarah, Shawn, Jeanne, JaeunJemmaKu

    Regrets
           Jan

    Chair
           Sarah, Shawn, Jeanne

    Scribe
           jeanne

Contents

      * [3]Topics
          1. [4]Responses from researchers
          2. [5]Review open action items
          3. [6]Stakeholder form for non-accessibility stakeholders
          4. [7]Interview user research - next steps
          5. [8]Literature Review
      * [9]Summary of Action Items
      * [10]Summary of Resolutions
      __________________________________________________________

    chairs: Shawn, Jeanne

    Topics: Emails

    Sarah: It would be good to do interviews of organizations who
    have integrated accessibility into their development.

    Jeanne: I sent an email on an article about that has references
    to other studies done.

Responses from researchers

    <SarahHorton> Sarah: Here's the article that has a few case
    studies:
    [11]https://www.paciellogroup.com/blog/2016/01/accessibility-fo
    r-business-and-pleasure/

      [11] https://www.paciellogroup.com/blog/2016/01/accessibility-for-business-and-pleasure/

    [12]https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-silver/2017Feb/
    0010.html <- email from Michael Heron

      [12] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-silver/2017Feb/0010.html

    JS: Michael Heron was concerned about UK academic calendar

    Sarah: I think we should ask him what timeline works for him.
    We can be more flexible.

    Jeanne: We have milestones that we have to keep to, but we have
    some flexibility within the major Research milestones

    Sarah: I think we have to be more flexible because we didn't
    get the research work kicked off before the semester start.

    <scribe> ACTION: Sarah or Dave will respond to Michael to ask
    him for what schedule he would need. [recorded in
    [13]http://www.w3.org/2017/02/07-silver-minutes.html#action01]

      [13] http://www.w3.org/2017/02/07-silver-minutes.html#action01]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-62 - Or dave will respond to michael
    to ask him for what schedule he would need. [on Sarah Horton -
    due 2017-02-14].

    Jeanne: He proposes two projects, one of which isn't really
    related to Guidelines

    Sarah: He may identify items that should be included in
    Guidelines.

    Jeanne: Scott Hollier proposed a new question ->
    [14]https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-silver/2017Feb/
    0009.html

      [14] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-silver/2017Feb/0009.html

    How flexible are the current web accessibility standards in
    supporting emerging consumer technology trends?

    scribe: he is proposing a project based on effectiveness of
    WCAG 2.0 for technology trends.

    Sarah: Great idea, it's a rich area for insights.

    Shawn: the interviews around adaptations to WCAG also will
    address it.

    Jeanne: Tyson McMillen also responded <-
    [15]https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-silver/2017Feb/
    0011.html
    ... he also proposed two new questions:

      [15] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-silver/2017Feb/0011.html

    - In what ways can the new accessibility guidelines capturethe
    iterative nature of accessibility compliance? That is reinforce
    the importanceof double checking accessibility when new content
    is added?

    - To what extent can guidelines help teachers maintain
    accessibilitywhen using a learning management system (lms) such
    as Moodle, Blackboard, etc.for both online and on-campus
    courses?

    scribe: the latter will be of interest to Jan and her concerns
    with WCAG in education.

    Sarah will add to the wiki

Review open action items

Stakeholder form for non-accessibility stakeholders

    Jeanne: I realized that we need a separate form for
    Stakeholders who aren't accessibility professionals. We will
    set up a new form that has the same fields and field order, but
    has better explanatory material for people who aren't in the
    a11y sphere.

Interview user research - next steps

    Jeanne: [a long intro] I would like to start working on
    planning the next step of interviews. Some of the interviews I
    want to do myself. there are people I am really interested in
    talking with and getting their ideas. I would like to start
    working on the questions. I also think there are some roles
    that we want to reserve for ourselves to interview, like policy
    makers and CAOs.

    Jemma: I agree.

    Sarah: I think we have to be systematic about how we get at the
    information. I think we want to have an umbrella that we all
    stand under.
    ... No matter what we do, we will learn, but we will get more
    if we are systematic.

    Jeanne: Completely agree. We want structured questions for
    validity, to avoid leading, and to give interviewees the
    question in advance so they have time to think about them
    before the call.

    Sarah: I am often in interview situation, and I use a framework
    for what we are trying to understand.
    ... we want to understand where we are now and where the pain
    points are now.
    ... maybe one of the researchers could be the umbrella maker,
    or Dave could do that.
    ... we need to know what methods the researchers are going to
    use, and do that first.

    Shawn: I think it should be case by case who does the
    interviewing.

    jeanne: We need to get this part of the research moving because
    it will take a long time.

    <scribe> ACTION: jeanne to start a wiki page with research
    questions. [recorded in
    [16]http://www.w3.org/2017/02/07-silver-minutes.html#action02]

      [16] http://www.w3.org/2017/02/07-silver-minutes.html#action02]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-63 - Start a wiki page with research
    questions. [on Jeanne F Spellman - due 2017-02-14].

    Sarah: We know enough to start assigning task force partners
    and get moving. Perhaps there is an intermediate stage of
    responding that Dave is going to do.

    Shawn will be point of contact for Scott Hollier

    Jeanne will ask Jan if she wants to be the point of contact for
    Tyson (education research)

    Jeanne will be point of contact for Michael on accessible
    gaming

Literature Review

    Jemma: I got article, great article. I need more info on
    setting up the project with Shawn.

    Shawn: Jemma, you and I can just do it. We need to get the
    literature in a form that we can access programatically.
    ... I will send an email with a link to the library and how it
    works, and then we can go from there.

    Jeanne: set up a meeting with Jemma to create Literature Review
    wiki page.

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: jeanne to start a wiki page with research
    questions. [recorded in
    [17]http://www.w3.org/2017/02/07-silver-minutes.html#action02]
    [NEW] ACTION: Sarah or Dave will respond to Michael to ask him
    for what schedule he would need. [recorded in
    [18]http://www.w3.org/2017/02/07-silver-minutes.html#action01]

      [17] http://www.w3.org/2017/02/07-silver-minutes.html#action02
      [18] http://www.w3.org/2017/02/07-silver-minutes.html#action01

Summary of Resolutions

    [End of minutes]
      __________________________________________________________
Received on Tuesday, 7 February 2017 17:17:39 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Friday, 17 January 2020 17:23:49 UTC