From: David Booth [mailto:david@dbooth.org]
Sent: Saturday, March 07, 2015 8:29 PM
To: public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org
Cc: HL7 ITS; w3c semweb HCLS
Subject: Re: Proposed RDF FHIR syntax feedback

There are a few things going on here that I think are causing some confusion.  One is discussion of RDF serializations (syntax).  Another is discussion of ontologies (i.e., data models or TBox) versus instance data (i.e., ABox, or data that is expressed in terms of those data
models or ontologies).   A third is discussion of dereferenceable FHIR
URIs.  I'll try to help untangle them, but first I'd like to suggest some simple terminology to help reduce confusion in these discussions.

ONTOLOGY:  I suggest we use the word "ontology" when we are talking about the definitions of classes and properties, relationships between them or restrictions on their use, such as cardinality.

INSTANCE DATA: Similarly, I suggest we use the term "instance data" when we are talking about data that is represented *using* those classes and
properties.   An example would be specific patient data (such as an
observation) that is transmitted in a FHIR payload.

I think this "ontology" versus "instance data" dichotomy will help clarify our discussions.  HOWEVER, there are several circumstances that cause this distinction to be blurred:

  - RDF itself makes no distinction between ontologies and instance data (TBox and ABox) -- it's all just sets of assertions to RDF.  "Triples
all the way down."   :)

  - RDF file formats are *not* a reliable indicator of whether a file contains an ontology, instance data or a combination of both.  A .rdf file (RDF/XML) can hold OWL ontology definitions, as can a .ttl (Turtle) file or any other standard RDF serialization.  To add even more confusion, if you're using a tool like Protege, the tool might store everything in .owl files, regardless of whether the data is acting as
ontologies or as instance data.   The .owl extension does *not*
necessarily mean the file contains an ontology (as defined above).

  - Terms from OWL and RDFS vocabularies can be freely intermingled in an RDF document -- and they typically are, especially when that document acts as an ontology.

  - FHIR profile definitions can be transmitted in a FHIR payload just as patient data can be transmitted.  In that sense a FHIR profile can act like instance data, but in its use -- defining extensions and constraining the content of other FHIR resources -- it acts more like an ontology.

For FHIR, we need to define both a FHIR *ontology* -- a set of classes and properties -- and bi-directional mappings that will convert FHIR
*instance* *data* from FHIR XML or FHIR JSON to FHIR RDF and vice versa.

Because RDF is independent of serialization, file formats and serializations are largely irrelevant to our FHIR RDF/ontology effort:
we'll be producing a FHIR ontology, using standard RDF, RDFS and OWL vocabularies, and it can be serialized to any standard RDF format.  For this reason, I don't think we should spend much time worrying about what RDF serialization to use for the FHIR ontology.  It's pretty much irrelevant.

However, for FHIR RDF *mappings*, for convenience we may choose to define those mappings in terms of specific FHIR XML, FHIR JSON and/or FHIR RDF serializations.  For example, the Shape Expressions (ShEx) approach that Eric Prud'hommeaux demonstrated transforms FHIR *XML* to *Turtle*.  And in the JSON-LD approach that I'm investigating, the mapping from JSON-LD to RDF will simply be the standard RDF interpretation of the JSON-LD: no additional mapping definition will be required.

In summary: (a) RDF serializations can hold a mixture of RDF, RDFS and/or OWL -- and they often do; and (b) the serialization format is independent of whether the document contains an ontology or instance data or both.

David Booth