From:   Anthony Mallia <amallia@edmondsci.com>
To:     "Peter.Hendler@kp.org" <Peter.Hendler@kp.org>,
"michel.dumontier@gmail.com" <michel.dumontier@gmail.com>
Cc:     "david@dbooth.org" <david@dbooth.org>, "eric@w3.org"
<eric@w3.org>, "cnanjo@cognitivemedicine.com"
<cnanjo@cognitivemedicine.com>, "Rafael.Richards@va.gov"
<Rafael.Richards@va.gov>, "public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org"
<public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org>
Date:   15/05/2014 22:50
Subject:        RE: Propose an HL7 work group on RDF for Semantic
Interoperability?

Peter,
Good to see you at the HL7 meeting.
There seem to be three approaches being worked in RDF

1.       The first is expressing the FHIR payload in RDF. The ontology is
therefore the FHIR ontology.. The discussion at HL7 was about making
another representation of the payload in RDF.

2.       The second (which I have been working on) has a small sample in
Protégé is to look at the ontologies of FHIR and Terminologies –
particularly SNOMED CT and express them together in the same language –
OWL so that the conflicts can be resolved. The binding from objects in
FHIR to terms is fundamentally different from the FHIR payload and
therefore more disruptive. In this approach, a higher ontology is critical
– the RIM was a start but has quite a lot missing to form a good higher
ontology and has nothing to do with healthcare (The RIM did not either).
It looks as if you are going in this direction as well.

3.       The third which comes from the terminology side is to express
post-coordinated terms as a code OWL expression in a FHIR message. This is
a small scope but seems to have some importance to resolving the
terminology issues.

These three approaches do not overlap or conflict as far as I can see.

Maybe there are two projects one which is aligned to represent FHIR and
one which looks at the broader issue of Healthcare Ontology as you have
described. I don’t think the third deserves a project.

Tony Mallia