Re: License unknown

On Monday, June 23, 2014, Jerven Bolleman <me@jerven.eu> wrote:

> Booleans, in this case, are like answers on a math exam without
> showing your work. They might be right or they might be wrong, but no
> one knows how you got there.

Mind your metaphors ;)
How does the *datatype* make a difference on this matter? Does an xsd:float
tell the story of it's history? How do we know any more how a string or a
URI came to be the value of a property than a Boolean?

> I think it is critical in the semantic web that you describe what you
> know (you might still be wrong) as in a world where we try to share
> identifiers stating what you don't know often interferes with
> statements made by those who do know.

On this we agree. This motivates my proposal which states something we *do*
know, and seemed to provide the same level of information as the requester
made. I think that on the semantic web we should try to satisfy clients
needs, where that can be done without harming more important principles.

> But getting back: to the issue; Warning brain dump following
> The aim of the license statements is two fold. a) to state there is a
> license b) to describe what the license is.
>
> If the publisher does not know the license (e.g. "unknown") if they
> use blank nodes they assert there is a license.
> Which might not be true at all.

There is always a license, in the US, and many other jurisdictions. The
license says , effectively that only fair use is permitted, save a more
explicit license is given.

The publisher, in the sense used above, had no rights to publish if the
content is copyright able and they don't know that they have rights
otherwise.

I think it needs to be thought through what principles are intended with
respect to license. If it is to always respect law, then that is one thing.
If not, a whole set of other principles come into play. Marking the
document as "published without permission, caveat emptor" would see
minimally responsible in the latter case.

-Alan