Re: License unknown

Booleans, in this case, are like answers on a math exam without
showing your work. They might be right or they might be wrong, but no
one knows how you got there.

I think it is critical in the semantic web that you describe what you
know (you might still be wrong) as in a world where we try to share
identifiers stating what you don't know often interferes with
statements made by those who do know.

But getting back: to the issue; Warning brain dump following
The aim of the license statements is two fold. a) to state there is a
license b) to describe what the license is.

If the publisher does not know the license (e.g. "unknown") if they
use blank nodes they assert there is a license.
Which might not be true at all.

I think we could split the property: one for licensing organisation
and another for license. This allows us to say that there is no
license for this data set per se, but that you can contact a certain
organization for a different one. It also helps for those cases where
there is a free to use license with terms that are ok for academic
purposes but unfriendly to most pharma/business. e.g. in software the
AGPLv3 applies here. To help those businesses contact a licensing
organization so that they can negotiate for a different license.

On other option is one license property but model the licenses
underneath better.

_:kegg a dct:Dataset ;
           :license [owl:someValueFrom (kegg:licenseForPersonInJapan,
kegg:licenseForPersonOutOfJapan,
kegg:licenseForOrganisationOutOfJapan,kegg:licenseForOrganisationInJapan,)]

:swissprotIn1999 a dct:Dataset ;
           :license [owl:someValueFrom
             ([ rdfs:Comment "Academic use only" ],
              [ a :NegotionedLicense ;
                :from _:GeneBio ;
                :to [ a :end_user_organistation ].
              ])]

We might need to have 3rd property as well to state the copyright
applicability. e.g.

_:info a dct:Dataset ;
         :copyrightStatus :publicDomain .
or

_:info a dct:Dataset ;
         :copyrightStatus [  owl:onPropery dct:creator .
                                     :untilDateOfDeath [
                                         "Some restiction to state 75
years after creators death"
                                    ]