Re: owl:sameAs - Harmful to provenance?

When someone feels motivated, it would be great to have this thread summarized (into a paper?)
Great to see the discussion.

I've only looked at a small fraction of the email messages that were posted, so I may have missed this, was there any mention of tools that would pick up potential problems (I suppose one could "grep" for any use of sameAs  :-)
So, some summary guidelines (or rules) -- when to use, when not to use, and how to tell the difference (since you can't predict future contexts or uses).

I'd like to bring attention to the Ontology Summit - some of you may not be aware of it.  All presentations are recorded and available as well as the online chat that runs during the conversation (similar to ZAKIM).

Your expertise would be appreciated in the upcoming hackathon:

	http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OntologySummit2013_Hackathon_Clinics

I will to post this in its own thread.  For those who don't know, the ontology summit meets thursday (check the page for your local time) and
the topic this year is on evaluation across the ontology life cycle.

Some of you may appreciate my most quoted quote by Einstein

	"In theory, theory and practice are the same.  In practice, they're not."

So much depends on context. It's context that gives the meaning (outside of the formal semantics).  This is what lead me to create the approach known
as GOEF, the generalized ontology evaluation framework, which we're using in the iChoose project at SUNY Albany to help drive the ontology development.

Kind regards,
Joanne

Joanne S. Luciano, PhD                                    			Tetherless World Constellation
Research Associate Professor						Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
Deputy Director, Web Science Research Center		110 8th Street, Winslow 2143
Email: jluciano@rpi.edu							Troy, NY 12180, USA
Office Tel. +1.518.276.4939                              			Global Tel. +1.617.440.4364 (skypeIn)