Re: KB note

Matthias Samwald wrote:
>> Speaking of national boundaries, I wonder if alternative medicine
>> (e.g., herbal
>> medicine) would also be of interest to this community. For example,
>> Huperzine
>> is a drug derived from the herb Huperzia serrata. I also wonder if
>> there are
>> hypotheses regarding the study of herbs in the possible treatment of
>> neurological diseases.
>
> I would also be very motivated to help in this kind of research.
> Specifically, Huperzine A would be a very interesting use-case for our
> developments. It is a herbal compound with a history in folk medicine
> and is available OTC in most countries, yet it rivals the
> effectiveness of currently leading Alzheimer medications such as
> Tacrine. It also has a dual mode of action that does not only involve
> acetylcholinesterase inhibition, but also modulation of the NMDA
> receptor. The implications of this for the treatment of Alzheimer's
> are still a rather hot topic.
That's great! Motivation is a good driving force. I agree such a herbal
compound like Huperzine A can help translate herbal medicine into
mainstream medicine.

> The integration of knowledge from traditional medicine, plant
> taxonomy/phylogeny/biochemistry and receptor binding databases (PDSP
> Ki database, IUPHAR) could lead to the identification of some
> extremely novel therapeutic strategies. Finding candidate molecules in
> such a way might be much more effective than weeding through libraries
> of compounds generated by combinatorial synthesis etc. The challenge
> lies in the integration of some very heterogenous datasets that come
> from vastly different disciplines, which is exactly the field of
> research where Semantic Web technologies are most effective.
I'm also working with the SenseLab team to add Huperzine related data to
BrainPharm. Speaking of traditional medicine, I copied to Huajun Chen
who is heavily involved in Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) database
development. Plus he is a semantic web person. Perhaps, he can also help
us in exploring/establishing this "east meets west" approach.

> I guess the major problem for this kind of research is that there are
> no funding programmes that span China, the US and Asia...
Sustainability is an important issue.  If this community project takes
off, we should seek international funding opportunities ....