Re: BioRDF Brainstorming -- Connecting the Health Care and Life Science KB to the Linking Open Data datasets

I added yet another item to the BioRDF Brainstorming document [1].  Here is
the text that can also be found and edited on the Wiki page:

___HCLS KB mapping to the open linked data repositories___

It would be great if two of the largest coherent Semantic Web structures,
namely the HCLS Knowledge Base and the Linking Open Data datasets [2], could
be mapped to each other.
Some possible anchors in the Linking Open Data (LOD) datasets:
 * DBpedia (besides label-matching, we could also make use of information
like CAS number, Uniprot/Pubmed references etc. that are part of DBpedia)
 * YAGO
 * W3C Wordnet
 * OpenCyc 1.0

Some possible anchors in the HCLS KB:
 * All of the OBO ontologies
 * MeSH in SKOS
 * NeuronDB

Since DBpedia is already mapped to most other datasets in the LOD
collection, DBpedia would probably be our primary target for such mappings.
Since the ontological foundation of most LOD datasets is relatively loose
compared to most HCLS datasets, the mapping should not be done with
owl:sameAs or owl:equivalentClass statements, but rather with softer
statements such as rdfs:seeAlso. The only exception is OpenCyc, where a more
stringent mapping with owl:equivalentClass is possible. A mapping between
the SKOS version of MeSH and the SKOS version of Wikipedia categories could
also receive special attention: we could use owl:sameAs (although this is
discouraged by the SKOS specification) or the specialized SKOS mapping
vocabulary.

Furthermore, we should:
 * Learn about the guidelines for publishing RDF/OWL according to the
practices agreed on by the Open Linked Data community [3]
 * Analyze which of the HCLS KB datasets are already in agreement with these
practices
 * Decide if some of our HCLS-oriented projects could benefit from adhering
to these practices. This should NOT trigger a general discussion about URI
issues and resolution mechanisms once again. At this point, we simply want
to evaluate who in the HCLS community it motivated to published 'linked
data'.

Even if we decide that adhering to the linked data practices is not of
special interest to us, a mapping to the LOD datasets would still be very
valuable in itself.

[1] http://esw.w3.org/topic/HCLSIG_BioRDF_Subgroup/Brainstorming
[2] http://richard.cyganiak.de/2007/10/lod/
[3] http://www4.wiwiss.fu-berlin.de/bizer/pub/LinkedDataTutorial/